The Peninsulas (plural) EMS Council service area includes the sixteen cities and counties located on the three Virginia peninsulas (the Virginia Peninsula, the Middle Peninsula and the Northern Neck) on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. These jurisdictions comprise a population of 618,101 spread across 2,727 square miles.
The Virginia Peninsula is the Southernmost of three peninsulas on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. It is bounded by the York River, James River, Hampton Roads and Chesapeake Bay. The Peninsula consists of six jurisdictions - the cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson and Williamsburg and the counties of James City and York. These jurisdictions comprise a population of 476,846 spread across 393 square miles.
While the land portion of Hampton Roads has been historically divided into two regions, the Virginia Peninsula or Peninsula on the north side, and South Hampton Roads or Tidewater on the south side, Hampton Roads has long been used as a common name for the metropolitan areas that surround the body of water of the same name. More recently, that name has been used to formally represent all of the traditional jurisdictions of the Hampton Roads Metropolitan Urban Area as well as the two southernmost counties the Middle Peninsula.
The EMS Agencies that service the Virgina Peninsula include:
- City of Hampton: Hampton Department of Fire and Rescue, Mar-Mac Transportation Services, Medical Transport Inc
- James City County: James City County Fire Department, James City Bruton Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad, Busch Gardens
- City of Newport News: Newport News Fire Department, Newport News Shipbuilding Fire Department, Eagle Medical Transports, LLC., Riverside Patient Transport
- City of Poquoson: Poquoson Fire and Rescue
- City of Williamsburg: Williamsburg Fire Department, Eastern State Hospital
- York County: York County Department of Fire and Life Safety
- Military Installations: Camp Perry Fire and EMS, Ft Eustis Fire and EMS, Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Fire and Emergency Services, Joint Base Langley-Fort Eustis Fire Department and Emergency Medical Services
The Hospitals located on the Virginia Peninsula include:
- Bon Secours Mary Immaculate Hospital
- Hampton Veterans Administration Medical Center
- Langley Air Force Base Hospital
- Riverside Regional Medical Center
- Sentara Careplex Hospital
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center
The Middle Peninsula is the second of three large peninsulas on the western shore of Chesapeake Bay. It lies between the Virginia Peninsula and the Northern Neck Peninsulas. The Middle Peninsula is bounded by the Rappahannock River, the York River and the Chesapeak Bay. It encompasses six Virginia counties: Essex, Gloucester, King and Queen, King William, Mathews, and Middlesex. These jurisdictions comprise a population of 90,826 spread across 1,283 square miles.
The EMS Agencies that service the Middle Peninsula include:
- Essex County: Tappahannock Volunteer Rescue Squad, Tappahannock-Essex Volunteer Fire Department, Essex County Emergency Medical Services, Lifecare Medical Transports
- Gloucester County: Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue, Gloucester Volunteer Fire and Rescue,
- King and Queen County: King and Queen Emergency Services, King and Queen Volunteer Rescue Squad, Lower King and Queen Volunteer Fire Department, Mattaponi Volunteer Rescue Squad, Walkerton Community Fire Association
- King William County: King William County Emergency Services, King William Volunteer Rescue Squad Inc., Mangohick Volunteer Fire Department, Mattaponi Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Mathews County: Mathews County Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Middlesex County: Central Middlesex Volunteer Rescue Squad (Urbanna), Middlesex Volunteer Rescue Squad (Deltaville)
- West Point: West Point Volunteer Fire and Rescue, Life-Evac 3
The Hospitals located on the Middle Peninsula include:
- Riverside Tappahannock Hospital
- Riverside Walter Reed Hospital
The Northern Neck is the northernmost of three peninsulas on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. This peninsula is bounded by the Potomac River on the north and the Rappahannock River on the south. It encompasses the following Virginia counties: Lancaster, Northumberland, Richmond, and Westmoreland. These jurisdictions comprise a population of 50,429 spread across 746 square miles.
The EMS Agencies that service the Northern Neck include:
- Lancaster County: Lancaster County Emergency Services, Kilmarnock-Lancaster Volunteer Rescue Squad, Upper Lancaster Volunteer Rescue Squad.
- Northumberland County: Northumberland County Rescue Squad, Mid-County Volunteer Rescue Squad, Callao Rescue Squad Inc.,
- Richmond County: Richmond County Department of Emergency Services
- Westmoreland County: Colonial Beach Rescue Squad, Colonial Beach Volunteer Fire Department, Cople District Volunteer Fire Department, Montross Volunteer Rescue Squad, Oak Grove Volunteer Fire Department, Westmoreland County Emergency Services, Westmoreland County Volunteer Rescue Squad, Westmoreland Volunteer Fire Department
The Hospitals located on the Northern Neck include:
- Rappahannock General Hospital
EMS Agency Information
There are 45 EMS agencies in the Peninsulas EMS Council service area with
25 physicians providing the operational medical direction required by the Code of Virginia. In addition there are 2,676 certified EMS providers in the region. The providers are certified at the following levels:
- 102 First Responders
- 1,614 EMT – Basic
- 102 EMT – Enhanced
- 432 EMT – Intermediate
- 426 EMT – Paramedic
Some of the providers that work in this region live in other regions of the state and are active volunteers where they live.